I love love LOVE this versatile dish, adapted ever so slightly from Annie’s Eats. It’s hearty, but not heavy and super tasty. It’s good warm or cold as a salad. It makes a good topping for a burger if you’re going bun-less too.
- 2 teaspoons. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers, with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice from half a lime
- Add oil to a medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapenos and saute for a minute or two.
- Add quinoa, chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes and corn and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for about a half hour until liquid is absorbed. I took the lid off for the last five minutes and stirred it every once in a while.
- Add cilantro, lime juice and salt. Enjoy!
Quick-glance nutrition information (from myfitnesspal app)
Servings: 5 (1 cup each) | Calories: 262 | Fat: 4.8 grams | Carbs: 46.9 grams | Protein: 12.5 grams